I just had a great pep talk/dinner with my cousin, who recieved her doctorate last year. I cannot express how inspiring it is to see another brown girl who knows first hand what it is like to go through this process and to have finished. Just to know that someone not only understands, but cares enough to offer you sound advice and tips is amazing. I hate to keep saying it, but it is really a different experience when you are a young, brown girl in a vanilla, male dominated area. She went through the same issues that I am now going through and she came out good so I know that I will as well. It is so important that those who come before us take the time to say "hey, I get it and you will get it done." I feel so inspired and I am so pumped to get started working again. I shouldnt have let the situation stop me, but hey, when you have no money it is hard to keep going. But guess what, I am gonna be beast because for the first time I really feel it in my grasp and Im taking it!
Dec 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment